Saturday, November 13, 2010

Reduced to stuff...

I think one of the more distressing things about having a loved one die, is that all you have left of them are their things. What do you keep, what do throw in the garbage? How do you get past the feeling that throwing their things away is akin to throwing them away....

In September we cleaned out my mom's house. We threw a lot away. Vultures in the form of people stopped and went through the trash on the curb and took it. Strangers now own my mom's belongings.

I brought home things that are important to me or useful. I have about 10 boxes of things still sitting in my kitchen, because going through them and finding new places for them in my house is not something I have been ready to do. It is another step in acceptance, a new level of cementing that she is no longer here. However, it is not realistic to keep boxes in my kitchen, and I need to go through everything and move on.

No comments: