Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Math

My 6yo came into his sister's room while I was getting her ready for bed. He told me that 5 X 5 is 25, and 4X5 is 20 and then rattled off a string of sums. I was asked to give him a harder problem, I said "ok..what is half of 50" He thought for a moment and said...there are 10 sets of 5 in 50 so half would be 5 sets of 5 or 25.
Then he left the room, went back to his room, where he filled paper after paper up with multiplication problems.

Admittedly, I was impressed, I didn't think he was at that point yet. He knew his multiplication facts for many different numbers, and it was learned entirely on his own. Also..it occurred to me that his way of doing math was WAY easier than however it was I was taught. Math was always a huge struggle for me.

Odd side note...I think my cat is more of a guard animal than my dogs. I heard him growling so I went by him. He was looking out the window. I figured he was seeing a visiting cat or raccoon. It took me a few minutes and then I realized there were 3 deer in our side yard. He was growling at deer. Created a funny image of cat chasing them off and attacking like a mini tiger.

2 comments:

really.truly said...

Ummm, I think your kids are brilliant. Seriously...that is not typical. At least I hope that is not typical. My 6 yr olds are still learning adding and subtracting.

Amy said...

Wow! What a bright guy! My 6yr is just grasping the concept of what it means to multiply & divide.

And that's hilarious...about your cat!